Chickpea Smash Sandwich Filling with Dill Pickles
This tangy, crunchy, creamy chickpea smash is perfect as a sandwich filling for school or work lunchboxes, as well as picnics and buffets. The quantity below fills about five sandwiches.
- 400 g / 14 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 140 g / 1 cup cucumber finely diced
- 1 medium carrot (66g), grated
- 1 small red bell pepper or romano pepper deseeded and finely diced
- 75 g / ½ cup dill pickles or gherkins sliced
- 2 TBSP pumpkin seeds
- 4 TBSP vegan mayonnaise*
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp dried dill
- pinch of salt
Placed the drained chickpeas in a large bowl and roughly mash with a potato masher.
Add all the remaining ingredients and stir through until fully combined. Taste test and adjust the seasoning to suit.
Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, this chickpea smash will keep for three days.
* I use this Home-Made Sweet Chilli Mayonnaise It's so cheap and easy to make! If you prefer to use a ready-made mayonnaise, both Vegenaise and Hellmans Vegan Mayo are now available in many of the major supermarkets in the UK, as well as the independent health food shops.