These tasty bars contained no processed fats or refined sugars. Packed with wholegrain oats and low-GI natural sweetener, they make a great snack for boosting or maintaining energy levels. Perfect for lunch boxes and after school snacks.
Makes around 8 bars
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
210g / 7½oz / 2 cups rolled oats
200g / 7oz / 2/3 cup natural fruit syrup (I use Sweet Freedom Natural Syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
27g / 1oz / ¼ cup desiccated coconut
43g / 1½oz / ¼ cup dried cherries, chopped*
* As an alternative, try goji berries and dates. This combination is equally delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan 160C) / 350F / Gas 4. Line a shallow oblong tin (approx 15cm x 18cm / 6” x 7”) with baking parchment.
- Lightly toast the coconut in a dry frying pan (skillet) over a low heat.
- Gently heat the syrup in a saucepan until it easily runs off a spoon. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats and coconut. Stir in the syrup and ensure the oats are thoroughly coated.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and press down firmly with the back of a metal spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the outside edges have started to brown. Leave to cool completely before cutting