Today, I’m sharing a tasty plant-based alternative to the classic Tuna salad sandwich filling. It’s creamy, crunchy, sweet, salty and tangy! I do love to have a mixture of flavours and textures going on in my sandwiches and today’s recipe certainly fits that bill! It is really easy to make and takes less than ten minutes to prepare.
The idea of using smashed chickpeas, mayo and seaweed as a vegan alternative to tuna has been around for a while now. I don’t know who originally came up with the idea, but it’s genius! I like to add a dash of mustard, lemon juice, tahini, dill and salt into the mix as I find it really helps to make the flavours ‘dance’.
Sweetcorn is a classic addition to the Tuna salad sandwich and it lends some sweetness and texture, as well as some welcome pops of sunshine yellow. I also love to add some chopped dill pickles for crunch and tang.
If you’re transitioning to a plant-based or vegan lifestyle and are missing Tuna salad sandwiches, I hope that today’s recipe will prove to be a worthy alternative! It’s been a big hit with my family!
Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Salad Sandwich Filling
- 400 g / 14 oz can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 3 TBSP vegan mayonnaise either home-made or shop-bought*
- 1 TBSP light tahini
- 1-2 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp nori sprinkles (I use Clearspring)
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50 g / ¼ cup canned sweetcorn drained
- 40 g / ¼ cup dill pickles (aka cornichon gherkins) chopped
- Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl and roughly mash using a potato masher.
- Add the mayonnaise, tahini, lemon juice and mustard and stir through until fully combined.
- Add the dried dill, salt, sweetcorn and pickles and stir to combine. Taste test and adjust the seasoning to suit.
- Store the sandwich filling in an airtight container in the fridge, where it will keep for three days.
Pin for later ⬇️
If you make this Chickpea ‘Tuna’ Salad Sandwich (or any other recipes on my blog), I’d love to hear your feedback and any suggestions for adaptations! Tag your photos with #bitofthegoodstuff on social media and they’ll find their way to me. You can also connect with me on my social media channels here: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest.