It is so quick and easy to make your own energy balls! It is literally a case of whizzing the ingredients together in a food processor. It also works out way cheaper than buying them from the supermarket.
As an added bonus you get to flavour them exactly to your own personal tastes!
I have already shared a few of my favourite energy ball recipes on the blog including Chocolate Orange, Cocoa Lime and Chocolate Rose (I can see a pattern running here haha) BUT the one I’m sharing today has to be my all-time favourite and – surprisingly – it contains no chocolate!
This Coconut and Lemon energy ball is so refreshing and zesty. I find it’s the perfect snack while out on a long hike, bike or run. It’s packed with wholesome ingredients such as oats, nuts and dates that help to boost and sustain energy levels. A touch of fresh lemon adds a delicious ‘zing’.
Lemon Coconut Energy Balls
- 22 g / ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar or soft brown sugar
- 50 g / ½ cup rolled oats (quick oats, not jumbo)
- 40 g / ¼ cup raw cashews
- 35 g / ¼ cup walnuts
- 120 g / ½ cup soft sticky dates (e.g. Medjool), pitted
- ½ – 1 tsp zest from an unwaxed/ organic lemon
- 2 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Mix together the desiccated coconut and sugar in a shallow container.
- Place the oats, cashews and walnuts in a food processor and whiz into fine crumbs. Add the dates, lemon zest, lemon juice, maple syrup and salt. Process until the mixture comes together in a ball. Taste test and add a touch more lemon zest or sweetener, if desired.
- Scoop level tablespoons of the mixture. Roll into balls, then roll in the sugar /coconut mixture. Repeat until all the dough is used. Chill in the refrigerator before serving (they will firm up as they chill).
- Stored in an airtight container, these energy balls will keep for a week in the refrigerator, or for weeks in the freezer.